Thursday, October 6, 2011

Meditations before a Fast

My second Yom Kippur in China is here, well rephrasing slightly, my second Yom Kippur in China begins in less than 12 hours. I know that there are special rituals one is supposed to do when Yom Kippur falls on the Sabbath, but for the life of me, I cannot remember what those are. Although I have fasted alone before (for my previous Yom Kippur in China as well as last Tisha B'av), I have found it is easier to keep the fast when one is near others who are fasting. All things considered, I am looking forward to this time of meditation and reflection. What I am not looking forward to is that tomorrow, during my fast, I may be teaching for the first time.

Traditionally, one is not supposed to work either on the Sabbath or Yom Kippur. I am not Baal Teshuva or observant of all the commandments given in Torah. Even if I were, I am an employee of the Chinese Government, at least in name, there are certain favors that one does not ask for. Among those favors is an extra day to oneself for whatever purpose. I am slightly confused by my schedule, and there is a possibility that I might not be teaching. All I know is that I should be prepared to teach. So I will use this last day of the holiday to get a plan ready for class tomorrow. Hopefully, I won't need it and I will be able to fine tune my plans (such as they are) for Monday. However begin prepared never hurt anyone, at least not the best of my knowledge.

Regardless, I start teaching full time on Monday. It won't be an easy weekend. I have about 80 different emotions all going through my head right now. If I could express any of them with any eloquence, I would. Suffice it to say though that I am looking forward to the challenge. Hopefully I will rise to meet it.

No comments:

Post a Comment