Tuesday, October 4, 2011

National Holidays, a Special Birthday, and Days of Shock and Awe

So this update must serve a three fold purpose. The first being to wish my wonderful/talented/amazing mother a happy birthday. I would be an unfilial son if I did not extend my mother in some way a birthday wish. Hopefully, I will be able to speak with her in a few hours. However it may have to wait until tomorrow morning, but it will still be her birthday stateside. Sometimes the massive time difference does actually work in one's favor. True there are disadvantages to having at least half a day between myself and most of my friends/family, but there are other times where it does work out well.

The second is a brief update with what I have been doing over the national day holidays. The national day holiday in China is the equivalent of the American 4th of July stretched over the course of 1 week. The weather has been overcast and raining since Thursday of last week, so I haven't had as much of an opportunity to explore Yizhou as I may have wanted. Mostly, I have been in my apartment, beginning to work on lesson plans as I start teaching in earnest next week. I am, of course, a little nervous about my coming responsibility, but I am also looking forward to it. I just hope that I am able to hold my own with my students.

Earlier today, I went with the rest of the foreign teachers of Hechi Daxue ( 河池大学) to Liuzhou (柳洲). Liuzhou is the nearest large city, having an urban population of over 1,000,000 and a total population (including outlying areas) of just over 3,500,000. It's just about an hour and a half by bus, so I was able to grab a quite restful catnap during both legs of the journey. Due to the size of Liuzhou, it was much easier to find Western groceries for prices that weren't quite as high as one would see them in Yizhou. In fact there were some items, such as French Bread and peanut butter, that I have yet to find anywhere in Yizhou. After going through several stores, we ended our time in Liuzhou eating the first truly Western food I've had since coming to China (Pizza Hut).

Finally, these are the Days of Shock and Awe, otherwise known as the High Holy Days. Otherwise put, it is the period between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. According to tradition, 'On Rosh Hashanah it is written, on Yom Kippur it is sealed.' These are days of great personal meditation and reflection. It is also in this time that we ask our fellow man forgiveness for our transgressions. Normally, I go about asking forgiveness either in person or over the phone. However as all people I need forgiveness from are on the other side of the world and as contact is not assured, I have to use my blog to do this. For all of my transgressions, in thought, in word, and in deed, against you, I ask your forgiveness. I know I most likely won't be granted it, but I have to at least attempt it so I can say to myself (if no one else) "Although I have failed, I did earnestly try"

Until again,

D.

No comments:

Post a Comment