Saturday, September 10, 2011

From Nanning to Yizhou

Well here I am in Yizhou and I was wrong about the size of the population. The city, still small for Chinese standards, is over half a million people. It's approximately 600,000, maybe more. So while not Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, or any of the other mega cities, it is fairly large by American standards. In fact, Yizhou may be more densely populated than the city of Boston (not including it's urban area). However I would not put any money on a bet.

Before leaving Nanning, I had the chance to go to a night market, focused on selling street food. I got some good pictures, but didn't eat anything, mostly because I was still full from having eaten dinner at most an hour before we went to the market. The night before departure ended up with karaoke at Chinese Central Television CCTV, and I may have ended up singing one of the few songs I can sing in Chinese... I'm not proud of myself.

There are approximately 212 kilometers (what that translates to in miles I am not quite sure) between Yizhou and Nanning. As we got closer and closer to Yizhou, more and more the landscape began to resemble a type of valley. Suddenly, out of the lush ground came teeth of stone covered in small scrub. Yizhou is called by locals the small Guilin, which is famous for its sudden mountains. I am lucky to be in such a picturesque place.

So my apartment? It's on the seventh floor, and this building has no elevator. Say hello to awesome legs everyone! At least I hope to have awesome legs by the time I finish in China. As my classes won't start until a little later in this month, I am going to take time to walk around and get to know my new city. Hopefully, I will be settling in soon. Right now, I still have a few things to unpack.

All the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment