Monday, September 19, 2011

Military Training (or something very much like that)

It has been a relatively short time since my last post, but I figure that this small incidence deserves a proper notification of all its own. The first year students have since arrived on campus. Now, if the fist year students have arrived on campus, one may think that I would be running out the door on my way to class at any given moment. However, I do not start teaching until the seventh week of the calendar, which is just after the national holiday. There is a reason for the large time gap though.

Even seven floors up, I can here commands being shouted. The first year students apparently have something like military training they have to go through before they can take classes. These drills begin roughly at seven in the morning, which is great practice for waking me up in time for the early courses I will be teaching. What it isn't great for though is the fact that I've finally fully adjusted to the sleep schedule here. I know it is a minor inconvenience, and I should not be complaining. Still though, hearing small platoons of students shouting at the top of their collective lungs "一,二,三,四!” (1, 2, 3, 4) is far from a relaxing way to spend the morning.

I am learning how to tune it out, and I am making slow progress on my graduate school applications. Hopefully, I'll have a rough draft of my personal statement finished by later this week. Now to continue to listen to the shouts.

All the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment